Monday, November 14, 2011

S'Mores Cupcakes, Sans the Campfire

Bringing the campfire tradition to the schoolyard because my marshmallows bring all the grahams to the yard! O.k. I will stop now :) For work I signed up to bake a dozen cupcakes for a fundraiser. I decided on S'Mores cupcakes. YUMMMOOOOO!  I began with my basic chocolate cake/cupcake recipe (below, makes 24-28 standard size cupcakes), followed it up with my delicious vanilla butter cream frosting, topped it with marshmallows and crushed graham crackers. If I had a culinary torch I would have toasted the tops of the marshmallows, which means I would have done frosting, graham crackers, and then marshmallows and toasted with the torch. As always, ingredients are listed in the order they are needed.


Chocolate Cake/Cupcake Recipe
Dry Ingredients
2 cups sugar, leveled
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, or cake flour if you have it, leveled and not packed
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa, leveled
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon course sea salt (if you don't have, table salt is fine)

Wet Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup milk (whole, 2%, or 1% will work)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Garnish Ingredients
1/4 bag of mini marshmallows
10 Graham Crackers, crushed

Heat oven to 350° F and line cupcake pan with liners. In a large mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients in order listed. Then add wet ingredients (but not hot water) in order listed into bowl with dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. Don't panic, the batter is meant to be thin. Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full with batter. Cupcakes will bake for 18 - 20 minutes. Take cupcakes out of tin and cool completely before frosting.

Then frost with my spectacular vanilla butter cream frosting recipe.

Top with mini marshmallows and crushed graham crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment