Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Scones

There is just something about this time of year that makes me want to cook everything with pumpkin in it. I scoured the Internet for a spectacular pumpkin scone recipe. All, and I mean ALL, of them were the exact same recipe claiming to be the best. I could tell by the ingredients I would be eating a pumpkin flavored brick. So I did what any good person does... I set out to create my own pumpkin scone recipe... voila.  PS I list my ingredients in order of use.


Pumpkin Scones
6 tbsp of frozen butter, cubed (the smaller the better)
Wet Ingredients
1/4 cup  milk (whole, fat free, 1%.. whatever you like it will still be great)
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (my fave brand is Faye)
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree mix)
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
Dry Ingredients
3 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp course sea salt (or regular salt if that's all you got, but I love baking with course sea salt)
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Utensils Needed
Knife
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Medium Bowl
Large Bowl
Rolling Pin
Fork
Whisk
Spatula
Pizza Cutter (not necessary but useful)
Parchment Paper (not necessary but helps with mess when kneading and rolling out dough)

Preheat oven to 425° F. Cube butter and place in the freezer. In a medium bowl, mix (with a fork) wet ingredients and place in refrigerator until ready to use. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients (I like to use a whisk to mix so it breaks the clumps up and adds a little air to the mix). Once mixed, add cubed butter. Toss with a spatula until butter is nicely coated. Then add wet ingredients and fold with a spatula until ingredients are combined. Transfer dough to a well floured surface (this is when I use parchment paper, put the flour on the parchment paper that is on the cookie sheet). Dust the top of the dough with flour and knead with floured hands about 6-8 times just until the dough holds together in a ragged ball. Add flour as needed to prevent sticking. Roll dough into a 12 inch square. Fold dough into 3rds like a letter. Should form a 4 inch square. Put dough on a floured plate and place in freezer for 5 minutes. Put dough back onto floured workspace and roll into a 12 inch square again. Roll dough into a tight log. Lay long seam down and press the log into a 12 inch by 4 inch rectangle. Cut into 4 equal rectangles with knife or pizza cutter. Cut each rectangle diagonally to form 2 triangles. Transfer to baking sheet either lined with parchment paper or greased with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake until tops and bottoms are golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment